Sunday, July 18, 2010

The beginning of the end


Hello,
My husband, Tom, is back and that means my time in DC is almost over. We will start driving back to Indiana on Friday with a short stop in Gettysburg. I know I have been here for 6 weeks which should be plenty of time and I should be ready to go home. There is so much to see and do here that I don't think 6 years would be enough, but I got to see A LOT. I will be happy to get home, but it will be hard to leave. I have had a great experience here, and I am grateful to whichever gods or guardian angels are watching over me. I am also going to give a shout out to Karma because you just never know for sure! There were so many times when things could have gone very badly, but instead those things that didn't quite go as planned still worked out to be happy accidents.
Anyway, we still have a few days here so we are going to make the most of them! Today we went to the Smithsonian Botanical Garden. When we win the lottery and move to our fabulous row house in DC with the garden space that Tom wants we now know which plants we are going to grow. There are a lot of great plants that thrive in this climate that wouldn't do very well in Indiana. Of course, our fabulous row house will also have a conservatory to grow all of those plants that need a more protected environment so Tom can have those plants that don't like the DC climate, too. We aren't asking for much are we???
After the Botanical Garden we went to the art museums--east and west buildings. The east building has all of the older art and the west building has more modern art. The west building is beautiful, and there seems to be plenty of space to expand their collection. It didn't seem to have very much. The east building, on the other hand, seems to go on forever.
Our last stop of the day was Eastern Market. Tom likes flea markets so we decided to go, and I wanted to get some more goodies from the farmers' market. The peaches here are to die for! After that we came home and made a feast of a dinner. It was 98 degrees here today so we are going to take it easy this evening so we have energy for tomorrow!
5 days to go!

Tami

2 comments:

  1. Did you get your "teacher discount" this time at the market? And you didn't mention the earthquake! Did you feel it or sleep right through it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I got my discount and yes I slept right through it :) I take it you got home o.k.? How was your reunion?

    ReplyDelete