Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th of July!!







Hello!

This has been a very successful 4th of July because I have achieved the "Big 3"--Sunburned, Sweaty, and Sleepy (it has been a LONG day!).

It started out this morning with the parade. I had a seat on the marble curb in front of the National Archive. Since it was just me I was able to find a spot in the front. It was hot and sunny without a cloud in the sky and the parade was 2 hours long (and that marble curb was hard!)--hence the sunburned and sweaty parts. There were a lot of marching bands from around the country--Ohio, Washington state, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Connecticut-- Who do I have to talk to about getting an Indiana band in next year--Mr. Klee? Mr. Beuter? I would agree to help chaperon if necessary. I am all about helping out whenever I can :)

After the parade ended I had some time to kill so I went to the Newseum. It is a museum dedicated to the first amendment--especially freedom of the press. This is where George Stephanopoulos does his Sunday morning news show for ABC. I even got to tour the studio where they film it. Don't get too excited; it is very small.
As it was getting closer to the evening I had a decision to make--The Navy band was going to start a concert down by the Washington Monument at 6:00 and then after that the fireworks were going to be shot off over the reflecting pool between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial at 9:15. However, The Capitol 4th show that you see on TV was being held at the Capitol (duh) which is at the other end of The Mall. I could watch the Navy show until the Capitol show started at 8, go watch the Capitol show, and then watch the fireworks being shot off from behind the Washington Monument or try to make it back over there. That seemed like too much work because by this time I was also starting to get tired (the third "S"--sleepy). I decided to stay at the Washington Monument. The Navy concert was great and the fireworks were AMAZING. I swear some of them were 3D because one would light up and then another one would come from the center of it which came closer, and then another one came out of that one which was closer, and then another one and another one. It was incredible! The show only lasted about 20 minutes, but every one of those fireworks was huge and filled the entire sky. It was overwhelming.

Once the show was over it was time to try to get home (it sounds so easy, right?). I need to find a t-shirt that says "I survived the Metro on the 4th of July" because it was crazy! The good news is I did make it home safe and sound and in one sunburned, sweaty, sleepy piece and it was sooooooo worth it!!!

Happy 4th!
Tami






2 comments:

  1. I bet it was totally amazing!!! Would have loved to been with you and would have done the triple S threat right along side of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the picture of the crowd at the Lincoln Memorial. Can't imagine July 4th in DC . . . you are so going to remember that day forever. Good job!

    ReplyDelete