Thursday, July 8, 2010

Presidents Madison and Monroe are pleased to make your acquaintance


Hello,
President James Monroe (number 5) lived just 2 1/2 miles from Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, but it could have been a world away. Quick, think of everything you know about James Monroe! I'll wait....Oh, done already? That is exactly the problem. We know all about the other founding fathers-Washington, Adam, Jefferson, and Madison, but then things get a little fuzzy. Monroe was their "go to" guy. There is a famous portrait of George Washington crossing the Delaware River and there is a guy standing behind him holding a flag. Forget for a moment all the historical inaccuracies in the picture, but the guy holding the flag is James Monroe. He survived Valley Forge with Washington, also. Thomas Jefferson was the president when the Louisiana Purchase was made, but who was the guy in France actually talking to Napoleon--that's right-James Monroe. He held a lot of government positions besides being president. Anyway, it is the same case with their homes. At Monticello there is a very nice visitor's center with a museum, theater and gift shop; timed tickets for the tours; and lots of people everywhere. Go two miles down the road and there is a little gift store that also sells tickets for the house tour and there are a few people wandering around. The difference is night and day. Why??? Good question. I have to admit, I don't teach my students a lot about Monroe (I did buy a book about him so maybe that will change). The original political parties that formed around Jefferson and Hamilton during President Washington's administration had weakened to the point where there really weren't any when Monroe was president (Jackson would divide people and the parties would make a comeback), and it was called the "Era of Good Feelings". He was able to get some treaties with European powers that helped to define our borders, but Monroe's Secretary of State John Quincy Adams usually gets the credit for those. Adams even gets the credit for the Monroe Doctrine--you would think that Monroe would at least get the credit for something with his name on it! Anyway, while his house is very nice, it is nothing like Mount Vernon or Monticello. It is bigger than most houses were at that time but then again most houses of the period were smaller than our two car garages today so that isn't saying much. I think I am going to have to look into Monroe a bit more; I am curious to know more about him.
After leaving Monroe's humble abode, it was time to visit President Madison's home, Montpelier. He lives about an hour away. O.k. it is probably less than that, but I am including the time I spent lost in Charlottesville. Uuuugggg! Madison has the big, impressive house on a hill with a state of the art visitor's center like Jefferson, but because it is a bit off the beaten path and he isn't as famous as Jefferson the crowd was more like it was at Monroe's house. Madison is probably most famous for marrying Dolley, but the Constitution should be his claim to fame because without him we probably wouldn't have one and the country would have collapsed under the Articles of Confederation and we would be back calling Queen Elizabeth our leader. Maybe that is a bit of an overstatement, but you get the point. Anyway, he has a lovely home and they are still doing archaeological work on the outbuildings such as the slave quarters. In fact, anyone can take an "excavation vacation" and help them! It looked interesting, but it was over 100 degrees and I was glad I was just visiting!
After leaving Madison's home I left the Blue Ridge all together and drove across the state to Virginia Beach. It wasn't too far or difficult. I have never been there and there is nothing in this world that a trip to the beach can't make better. I got there just after dark, but I still got some sand between my toes before calling it a day. aaahhhhhhh.
I spent this morning on the beach, but then it was time to get back to DC. I have to admit I was nervous at the thought of driving in DC traffic, but I got home before rush hour and in spite of missing my exit so I was pretty proud of myself. It is good to be "home"!

Tami

1 comment:

  1. is she reading over his shoulder...that would drive me nuts. Glad you got to the beach, what fun--and you got lost? Twice? Now we're in trouble

    ReplyDelete