Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Anchors aweigh



My mother's father served in the Navy during W.W. II, but I never really got a chance to talk to him about his service. I know he was a motormac and worked on submarines while stationed in Saipan and that is about it. We have pictures of him in uniform, and we even found a uniform when we were cleaning out my grandmother's house after she passed away. Most of the rest of my family were farmers during the war which was so important that they didn't join the service and weren't drafted. My mother's aunt did serve in the Coast Guard, but I don't know very much about that either.
It was a surprise to come across the Navy Memorial while just walking down the street. It is on the "back side" (opposite The Mall side) of the National Archive where the Declaration of Independence is kept. To be honest, I hadn't really thought about trying to find one. I mean there had to be one somewhere in DC, and I hadn't seen one on the trips I take with the students so I should have been on the hunt for it. No such luck.
I stopped to take pictures of it..it is very nicely done, and I asked a man who was setting up chairs in the middle of it what was going on there. He told me one of the Navy bands was going to be playing there later. Well, lets get to that Post Office Tower, take some pictures, and get back in time to see a band in dress white uniforms play some jazz!
It was the perfect evening to be outside, and the music was wonderful--a mix of classic and new jazz. While I was sitting there I started talking to one of the ladies who works at the Memorial's information office, and I confessed that I didn't know much about what my grandfather had done while in the navy during the war. She told me how I could get access to that information! There was a form I needed to fill out and then the military would send it to me! Jackpot!!
I have the form, and I can't wait to send it in and learn more about my Grandfather. It is amazing to me how different parts of this trip has made me think of a lot of different people. While I was touring Woodrow Wilson's house and looking at his walking sticks I thought about my husband's brother who has collected some also-especially from his trips to England. While I was at the DAR I thought about my friend from school who has talked about wanting to do family research there. Whenever I see anything about Iowa I take a picture of it to send to my mom and sister, and I do the same with things from Indiana. I also try to remember to take pictures of things from Ohio for Tom's family. Just about everywhere I go I can't help thinking of who might enjoy this experience also. I may be far away physically, but my thoughts are often with all of you.
Love,
Tami

3 comments:

  1. busy little bee! we're thinking of you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay--I have been following along but could not figure out how to join so I could make comments...got it!!! Love it when the light bulb goes on! Looks like you are having so much fun! I am jealous! While you are opening your mind and walking off your butt...mine is getting flatter thanks to all of the hours and hours and hours of baseball that I am setting through...Hope to talk to you soon again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so much fun to read your posts! Is the next best thing to being there. Those spontaneous adventures can be so delightful. Thanks for letting us tag along! tlb

    ReplyDelete