Wednesday, June 9, 2010

killing time in DC



Monday--
Monday was Supreme Court day. The Court hears cases from October -March/April and then starts handing down their decisions in June. Each Monday in June they hand down those decisions that are ready at that time and the public can be in the court room while they do it. Well, I missed the actual handing down of decisions by about 15 minutes, but now I know what to do so I can be there on time next Monday. I did get a chance to tour the building and hear a lecture about the court so it worked out just fine.

I was also planning to go back to the Folger Shakespeare Library to take a tour after I left the Supreme Court building because they are so close together. I saw the play there on Sunday, but I didn't get a chance to tour the rest of the place. I had some time to kill so I decided to walk. On Sunday I went north and found the Alice Paul house so on Monday I decided to go east. That is one of the most wonderful things about this city everywhere you go there are interesting things to see. It really pays to be early so that you have a chance to explore. My father, whose motto is "if you aren't at least 15 minutes early then you are late", should be proud of me!
Anyway, about 10 blocks from the Supreme Court is Lincoln Park. It is just a little neighborhood park with a statue of Lincoln "freeing" a kneeling slave at one end and a statue of Mary McLeod Bethune at the other. There is a playground and some benches and that is about it. But, as you can see from the pictures, it was a beautiful day--sunny and not too hot or humid. It was a nice place to sit, relax, and watch the world go by...sigh... As I was walking back toward the Court and the Library I found the Eastern Market which is great because that is on the agenda for Saturday.
When I got back to the Library I almost had a private tour as I was the only one waiting, but four other people joined in so it was a good sized group. The tour guide was very nice and knowledgeable. They were going to have a lecture there Monday night with a couple of people who worked on the movie version of Hamlet with Kenneth Brannaugh, and I was able to get a ticket! It was interesting to hear them talk about the play because the two actors had both done it on stage and on film so they had some real insights into the characters.

I have now been to the Folger Shakespeare Library 3 times in 2 days. I think I can take that off my list of places to see!
Tami


No comments:

Post a Comment