Tuesday, June 15, 2010

a couple of strikes and a couple of hits

Hello,

When I started researching my trip one of the first things I found out was that sessions of the Supreme Court are open to the public. If you are here from October-April you can sit in when lawyers are arguing their case, and if you are here in June you can see the judges handing down their verdicts. That sounded really interesting so I put it on my list of things to see and do. Well, that information was a bit misleading. Yes, you can tour the building and go into the courtroom when they aren't in session which are definitely worth doing. However, getting into the Release of Opinions isn't so easy. The courtroom really isn't all that big so once the lawyers, people whose cases are being decided, friends, and guests get into the room there isn't much space left for the public. In fact, when I went back yesterday (Monday--and they only do this on Monday) there weren't any seats open for the public. Of course no one said anything about this until 10:00 when the session started. So I made sure I was there early, I got a little yellow ticket that said it didn't guarantee me a seat (it didn't say it didn't guarantee I wouldn't even get it in), and I waited in line for about 40 minutes and DID NOT MOVE. At 10:00 the guard said sorry there were no seats and that was that. Very disappointing.
As I was leaving, I walked around The Capitol to The Mall side and the first museum on the left is the National Museum of the American Indian. A perfect place to make me feel better! I have toured this museum before, and it always seemed a bit confusing and difficult to navigate and I didn't always have a lot of time. Yesterday, I finally had the time (about 4 hours). The Smithsonian worked very closely with various tribes to make sure the museum was as inclusive as possible. We tend to want to lump all tribes together and think they have the same culture--not true. The museum has exhibits about 24 specific tribes plus others that look at common themes among other groups and relations with the U.S. government. It made a lot more sense this time! A miss and a hit so I batted .500 for the day--not too bad.

Today, I got up early to tour the State Department Reception Rooms. I also found out about this tour during my research and had to put in my request back in March. There was a lot of security involved, but it was definitely worth it. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and personable which helps. When Secretary Clinton wants to entertain foreign dignitaries she certainly has an impressive place in which to do it. It qualifies as a hit.

Another tour I found out about was the one at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, also known as the Old Executive Office Building. I confess one of the main reasons I wanted to tour this place is because it is also called the OEOB for short, and they mention it on the West Wing tv show--I LOVE that show! Well, they are in the middle of a restoration project so they aren't giving tours right now, and it is not open to the public..Strike two! At least I took a swing at it.

I decided to come home after the tour and eat lunch at home and catch up on a few things--including my blog :). I also wanted to check all the places I have been and decide where I still want to go. You would think I would be running out of sites after being here for two weeks. Not so! First, my family will be here next week and there are a lot of places I have been saving for them-The Capitol, The White House, The Pentagon, Arlington National Cemetery, etc. Then there are places like Mount Vernon which will be a day trip, and places that sounded interesting like the National Building Museum--hey, I have heard good things about it! Plus, there are a few places I want to visit again--like the Portrait Gallery (for the third time:)) and some sites I managed to miss in Georgetown. There is a lot to do!

Love,
Tami

2 comments:

  1. oh no--i am tired already! lol, just kidding...looking forward to seeing you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geesh--You've done a bunch already! I'm not sure I could have kept up that pace. Sounds like you are thoroughly enjoying yourself. I'm so glad!!

    ReplyDelete